- 2 cups cashews, soaked for 6h
- 3 Tbsp water
- 1 capsule vegan probiotic powder
- 2 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp pink Himalayan salt
- Black pepper for topping
- Rinse and drain the soaked cashews.
- Blend them with 3Tbsp water in a high speed blender until very smooth. Add a little bit more water if need it (try not)
- Once you get a nice and creamy consistency, add the probiotic powder and blend again for a few seconds (don’t overblend)
- Pour the mixture into a cheese cloth and tie up the ends. Place it over a strainer and let it set over a container to drain all excess of liquid.
- Let it ferment between 24 and 48h depending on how sour you like it. If you have a dehydrator, set the temp at 85F and transfer the cheese. If you don’t have a dehydrator, leave it at room temperature (preferably in a warm spot) covered with a cloth towel.
- At this point, you can open the cheese cloth and you should have a nice fermented nut cheese. Make sure the smell is nice and cheesy and it doesn’t have any pink spot.
- Transfer the cheese into a clean bowl.
- A thin crust layer will be formed on top. You can remove it if you don’t like (I always keep it)
- Add the flavor ingredients and mix well adjusting them as desired (you can add spices or herbs if you like)
- Transfer the cheese to a piece of plastic wrap and form a ball. Cover well and transfer to the fridge.
- Hardest part: to achieve a good consistency the cheese should be in the refrigerator for at least 24h, longer is better).