- Prep time: 10 min
- Cook time: 20 min
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (28 oz) can diced tomatoes (796 ml)
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup rice
- If your rice isn’t cooked, start by cooking your rice according to package instructions.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes until fragrant. Add cumin, oregano, chili powder, smoked paprika, turmeric and salt.
- Stir in your diced tomatoes (with juices), tomato paste and chickpeas. Bring to a low boil, then simmer over low-medium heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. You can stir in some raw spinach in the last 5 minutes of cooking for a nutrition boost.
- Serve on top of rice with vegetables if desired.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge.