- 1 cup water
- 1 cup potatoes
- 1/3 cup onion
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 2 tbsp shallots — blender —
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, pre-soaked overnight
- 1/3 cup vegan butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp garlic
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 cup beet juice
- Peel and chop your potatoes, carrots, onions, and shallots.
- Add vegetables to 1 cup water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- While this boils, juice 2-3 raw beets (depends how big they are). You’ll need about 1/2 cup of juice.
- Add cashews, butter, salt, garlic, mustard, lemon juice, pepper, cayenne, and paprika to your blender.
- When the vegetables are very soft, pour the entire contents of the pot (water included) into the blender and pulse a few times.
- Add the beet juice to the mixture. Blend for a few minutes until the mixture is super fine, with no chunks or visible particles.
- If you’ve cooked off most of the water and it’s too thick, just add a little water at a time until it blends to a consistency you like.
- Cook your pasta according to the instructions on the package. Al dente is best. Drain when it’s ready and put the noodles back in the pot.
- Pour the sauce over the drained pasta and mix with a large spoon.
- Garnish with your favourite toppings or just dig in. We think breadcrumbs, avocado, and sprouts are so perfect with this!