The ultimate vegan comfort food? This butternut squash mac’n cheeze topped with roasted and spiced chickpeas is it! It’s also healthy, nutritionally rich, packed with flavor, and definitely worth trying!Print
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 butternut squash, cut into 1-inch cubes (or a bag of frozen pre-cut squash, defrosted)
- olive oil
- black pepper
- 1 chopped yellow onion
- 2 large garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1–½ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ cup unsweetened soy/almond milk
- ¾ cup water
- ½ tbsp tamari or soy sauce
- 2 tsp yellow/mellow miso, mixed with 1 tbsp water
- 1–15oz can chickpeas
- seasoning (options include: paprika, smoked paprika, ancho chili, chipotle, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder and/or chili powder)
- Soak 1 cup raw cashews in hot water for 15 minutes.
- Peel and cut 1 butternut squash into about 1-inch cubes (or use 1bag frozen and defrost). Toss cubes with olive oil, salt and black pepper. Bake at 400F / on lined sheet until soft, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sauté 1 chopped yellow onion (medium dice) until translucent, about 5-7 minutes. Add 2 large slices garlic cloves and cook another minute.
- Transfer to blender with approximately 1-½ cups of the cooked butternut squash, 1 cup soaked cashews, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1-½ tsp smoked paprika, ¼ cup unsweetened soy/almond milk, ¾ cup water, ½ tbsp tamari or soy sauce.
- Mix 2 tsp yellow/mellow miso in 1 tbsp water until nearly dissolved. Add to blender. Blend all ingredients on high until smooth.
- Return to saucepan add desired amount of cooked pasta. Heat on low while mixing and add a little water until desired consistency. Mix in roasted chickpeas.
- To make roasted chickpeas, drain and rinse 1-15oz can chickpeas. Rub between paper towels to dry. (Optional: Toss chickpeas in a little olive oil before adding the spices.) Rub chickpeas with a generous amount of seasoning (options include: paprika, smoked paprika, ancho chili, chipotle, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and/or chili powder.) Add salt to taste. Roast at 400F until crispy (about 20 minutes).
Find more of Nisha’s recipes on @cookingforpeanuts.
Can’t get enough of vegan pasta? We’ve all been there. Check out our Pasta section for more amazing recipes!