These caramel gingerbread cookies are so beautiful they could serve as decoration – but they’re delicious too! A perfect homemade vegan holiday gift idea.
- ½ cup coconut oil
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup vegan coconut caramel sauce
- ¼ cup molasses
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground cloves
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas/garbanzo beans)
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- 1–2 tsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 ½ to 2 cups sifted powdered sugar
- Sift your dry ingredients together, set aside. In a stand mixer, whisk together coconut oil, sugar, vanilla and molasses together. Add the dry ingredients. Mix on medium/low until a smooth ball starts to form, do not over mix.
- Roll out dough onto parchment paper or a baking mat to ¼” thick. Try to make the dough as even in thickness as possible. Refrigerate the dough for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 180C/360F. Cut out cookies using cookie cutters. Transfer to parchment-covered baking sheets. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let fully cool before moving.
- Make the icing: In a stand mixer, beat aquafaba with cream of tartar and salt until foamy. Add all powdered sugar and beat on low speed until thick. Beat in supercolour powder and beat until thickened. Thin the icing with lemon juice to the desired consistency.
- Decorate cookie pieces with royal icing. Let dry completely.
Find more of Mei’s recipes on @nm_meiyee.