This vegan cheesy leek and potato soup is a great seasonal meal: it’s comforting, it’s easy to make, it’s packed with fall flavors, and of course, it is absolutely delicious!Print
Leek and Potato Soup
- 2 leeks
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 3 (500g) potatoes, medium-sized, chopped into chunks
- 3 cups water
Cheesy Cashew Cream Sauce
- 1/3 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 3/4 tsp dijon mustard
- 3/4 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 tsp cumin
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- pinch salt
- Chop leeks into roughly 1-inch pieces and wash thoroughly. (Discard tough green ends). Add leeks to a large pot with coconut oil and bring to medium-high heat. Cook leeks, stirring often until soft and wilted (10 mins).
- Add chopped potatoes and stir mixture until potatoes have softened slightly (10 mins). Pour in water and simmer veg on low heat until potatoes are soft and tender. (15 mins).
- Make Cashew Cheese Sauce. In a blender add soaked cashews (strained), almond milk, garlic cloves, salt, nutritional yeast, dijon mustard, apple cider vinegar and cumin. Blend until smooth. Pour cheese sauce into a bowl, or jug (as you will need the blender for the soup. No need to wash it out).
- Add soup to blender and blend until smooth. Pour back into saucepan along with cheese sauce. Stir to combine. Warm on low heat.
- Add coconut oil to a small skillet with pumpkin seeds and a pinch salt. Bring to medium-high heat and toast pumpkin seeds until browned and perfumed, (approx. 5 mins). Finish by adding rosemary and fry for 5 seconds on each side.
- Divide leek and potato soup into bowls and top with fried rosemary and pumpkin seeds.