- 1 Butternut Squash, washed & halved length ways
- 2 tbs Vegetable Oil
- 1 Leek, peeled, washed & chopped fine
- 2 cloves of Garlic, minced
- 2 tbs Fresh Sage, chopped
- 1/4 cup Vegan Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 3 cups Soy Milk/Cashew Milk
- 1/2 Onion
- 1 Bay Pinch Nutmeg
- 1 Pinch of Sea Salt & Pepper
- 1/2 cup Grated Vegan Cheese
- 1 tbs Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tbs Dried Chilli Flakes
- Roast the squash until softened. Scoop out the filling, leaving a cm of flesh. Set the filling aside Sauté the leek, garlic & sage. For the cheese sauce, in a saucepan add the vegan margarine and place the pan over a low heat.
- When the margarine is melted, add the flour. Using a spatular mix well. Cook the mix whilst stirring for a couple of minutes to cook out the flour. It should resemble a paste like consistency. Gradually whisk in the infused milk (flavourings strained out), a little at a time.
- Once you’d added all the milk, the béchamel should be creamy, if you want to make it cheesy, add vegan cheese & nutritional yeast.
- Fold the leek mixture & some of the filling into the cheese sauce, then spoon the into the hollowed squash halves.
- Bake the filled squash for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Serve & enjoy!