- Neutral oil (enough to fill 1/4 inch of your skillet)
- 1–1/2 cups small broccoli florets
- 1 cup chickpeas
- 1/2 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 Tbsp ground golden flaxseed
- 1/2 cup chickpea flour (all-purpose or other gluten-free flour will work but use 1/3 cup and add more, as needed, up to 1/2 cup)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1/3 cup grated vegan cheese (optional)
- Place 1-1/2 cups small broccoli florets into boiling water (enough to cover) and cook for about 1 minute so just tender.
- Drain and run under cold water for about 30 seconds. Set aside.
- Whisk vigorously unsweetened non-dairy milk and ground golden flaxseed about 2 minutes.
- Pour into large bowl with chickpea flour, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, ground mustard, salt, and (optional) grated vegan cheese. Mix well.
- Add cooked broccoli florets and chickpeas. Mix again. Batter will look and feel very sticky but don’t worry, it will hold together once you fry them.
- Heat about 1/4-inch neutral oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Dollop heaping tablespoon of batter into skillet to form fritter. Repeat for each fritter, keeping them spaced apart.
- Turn fritters after a few minutes once browned on bottom. Reduce heat if starts to burn. Cook until both sides are golden brown.