- 300g spaghetti or other pasta
- 3 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tbsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried chili flakes – more if you want it more spicy
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red wine (can be substituted by balsamic or red wine vinegar)
- 400g tin of whole cherry tomatoes in juice
- 100 ml water, more if needed
- flaky sea salt, to taste
- freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh basil, to serve
- Place a large pot of water to boil and cook the paste until al dente.
- Drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the dried herbs, chili flakes, garlic and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes, until fragrant.
- Add the red wine to the pan and cook it off until you can’t smell the alcohol any more, followed by the tinned tomatoes.
- Add the water and cook, lid half way on, for 10-15 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add a bit more water if the sauce is too dry.
- Mix the pasta through the sauce and serve immediately with fresh basil.