- 1 can black beans
- 1 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- just under 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 2 tbsp nut butter or allergy-friendly sub
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or additional nut butter
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp quick oats
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup vegan mini chocolate chips
- chocolate coating, listed below
- Line an 8×8 pan with parchment paper. Drain and rinse the beans very well. Add all ingredients except chocolate chips to a food processor, and process until very smooth. (A blender works if you must, but you should routinely stop the blender and stir to ensure ingredients blend evenly.) Stir in chocolate chips. Smooth into prepared pan. Freeze.
- Chocolate Coating: Chill at least a half hour, then either melt 1/2 cup chocolate chips with 2 tsp oil to form a thin sauce OR stir together 1/4 cup cacao or cocoa powder, 2 tbsp melted coconut oil or cacao butter, and 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave to form a sauce. Spread sauce over the bars, then re-freeze to set the chocolate. Cut into bars – To prevent the chocolate shell from cracking, cut either before chocolate freezes fully or after thawing a little. Store leftovers in the freezer, and thaw before eating. The bars are portable and can sit out at room temperature if the non-coconut coating option is used.