- 200 g / 7 oz vegan dark chocolate (I used 70% cacao)
- 200 g/7 oz silken tofu
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 120 ml/½ cup aquafaba (I used aquafaba straight from a tin/can) 1 tsp lemon juice or red/white wine vinegar
- 135 g/ 2/3 cup caster sugar
- 100 g /1 cup hazelnut meal/finely ground hazelnuts
- 45 g / 1/3 cup GF cake flour mix
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 75 g / ½ cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped
- Chop or break up the chocolate into smaller pieces with your hands. Place the chocolate in a glass bowl over a water bath (bain-marie). Make sure the glass bowl doesn’t touch the water. Simmer on a very low heat until the chocolate has melted. Take the bowl off the pot and allow the chocolate to cool down.
- Blend the silken tofu and vanilla essence until smooth in a food processor.
- Preheat the oven to 180° C / 355° F.
- Grease a round tin (I used a 20 cm / 8 ” round tin) with a little bit of olive oil or line the bottom of the tin with a circle of baking paper.
- In a clean metal or glass bowl, whip the aquafaba and lemon juice until you get stiff peaks. It is very important that the bowl has no grease residue as this will prevent the aquafaba from reaching stiff peaks.
- Once the aquafaba is at the stiff peaks stage (turn the bowl upside down, if the aquafaba does not slide down at all, it means that it has reached stiff peaks), start adding sugar very gradually, whipping well after each addition.
- Next, slowly incorporate the melted chocolate until you achieve an even looking batter. Fold the silken tofu into the cake mixture. Finally (gradually and gently so that you don’t knock too much air out of the whipped aquafaba) fold the hazelnut meal, GF flour, baking powder and salt into the cake mixture with a spatula.
- Spoon the batter into a brownie tin. Decorate with chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake for 30 mins. Remove from the oven and let the torte cool down COMPLETELY before cutting.