This healthy vegan corn chowder is super creamy, rich, and comforting. The recipe is plant-based, gluten-free, low-fat, easy to make in one-pot. It’s a great dinner or side for the summer months when fresh corn is in season. But it can be also made in the cooler months with frozen corn. This hearty thick soup tastes best when you serve it in a bread bowl!
- 1/2 tbsp oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped (150g)
- 2 stalks celery, chopped (90g)
- 3 small/medium potatoes, chopped (400g)
- 4 medium ear fresh corn (about 400 g) or use frozen
- 4 cups vegetable broth (about 900 ml)
- One 15oz can cannellini beans rinsed and drained
- 1 cup coconut milk canned
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes or less/more to taste
- 1/4 tsp smoked paprika
- Black pepper to taste
- Ground thyme to taste
- Fresh herbs to garnish
Chop the bell pepper, potatoes, and celery stalks into bite-sized pieces, mince the garlic and cut corn off the cob. Save about 3/4 cup of corn kernels for later.
Heat oil over medium heat in a large pot and add garlic. Sauté for about a minute or two, then add the chopped bell pepper, celery stalks, corn, and all spices. Sauté for about 4 minutes. Stir occasionally.
Next add the potatoes, the vegetable broth, bay leaf and bring the mixture to a boil.
Once it starts boiling, turn down the heat to a simmer and cook the soup for about 10-12 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
Take out the bay leaf. Add coconut milk and the rinsed cannellini beans.
- Blend the soup using an immersion blender until it’s smooth (or leave a few chunks if you prefer). You can also blend the soup in a regular blender. Make sure to work in batches and not to overfill the blender.
- Add the remaining corn kernels to the pot. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add more salt/pepper to taste. Garnish with fresh herbs. Enjoy!
Recipe as posted on ElaVegan.com