- 1 cup raw cashews
- 2 1/2 cups warm water (2 cups and 1/2 cup, divided)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 a white onion, diced
- 1/2 cup dry rosé wine
- 3 good large tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt & Pepper
- 4 oz whole wheat rigatoni
- Soak cashews in 2 cups of warm water, ideally overnight, but for at least 30 minutes. To make cashew cream, drain soaked cashews and add them to a high powdered blender or food processor.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup water and a dash of salt. Blend for 2-3 minutes until super creamy, taking time to stop and scrape down the edges. Pour into a bowl and set aside, and rinse out blender.
- Heat olive oil in a large shallow pan over medium heat. Add garlic, onion, and a generous grind of salt and pepper. Cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally until onion is translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add rosé to the pan and turn up the heat a bit. Cook until liquid has reduced by half, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add tomatoes and basil, reduce to a simmer, and cook for 15-20 minutes until tomatoes are broken apart and super soft, stirring occasionally.
- Remove sauce from heat and add to your blender (you can also use an immersion blender). Blend on high until sauce is creamy.
- Pour sauce back into your pan, and stir in the cashew cream. Add lemon juice and more salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and pour directly into sauce pan, and stir gently to coat evenly. Portion into bowls and enjoy with a glass of rosé!
[as posted on daisybeet.com]