Looking for an en-of-the-week comfort meal? We’ve got you covered! This creamy vegan pasta soup is packed with simple veggies, perfectly seasoned, and made ultra creamy with a cashew-cannelini bean sauce. Check the recipe notes for a nut-free version of the sauce!
For the soup:
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1–2 stalks celery, chopped
- 7 oz broccoli florets
- ½ tbsp oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5–6 cups vegetable broth
- 7 oz (200 g) dry pasta (I used gluten-free)
- Fresh herbs to garnish
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1–2 tsp ground lovage or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- One 15 oz can white cannellini beans or any other white beans (drained and rinsed)
- ½ cup cashews soaked
- 1 ½ cups plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ¼ tsp salt
- Soak cashews for a couple of hours OR boil them for 20 minutes in water until they are soft. Once the cashews are soft, transfer them to a blender, add the cannellini beans, the plant-based milk, lemon juice & salt and blend on high speed for about 2 minutes or until super smooth and creamy. Set aside.
- For the soup: Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat, add the onion, all veggies and fry for about 4 minutes. Then add the garlic, the spices and fry for a further minute.
- Add in the veggie broth (I first used 5 cups but had to add another cup later). Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat.
- Now add the cashew-cannellini cream and stir. Let the soup simmer for about 6-8 minutes.
- Finally, add dry pasta of choice and let the soup simmer for about 8-10 minutes or until the pasta is al-dente (check the package instructions). Stir frequently! If the soup is too thick either add more veggie broth or plant-based milk! Taste and adjust seasoning. You will most likely need to add more salt!
- Garnish with fresh herbs and enjoy!
For a nut-free version, simply use 75 grams of hemp seeds instead of cashews!
Find more of Michaela’s recipes on @elavegan.