- 300g [~2 ½ cups] all-purpose flour (see notes below if using cups)
- 175ml [¾ cup] hot boiling water
- pinch of salt
- ½lb (250g) green beans, chopped
- 16oz firm tofu, pressed & mashed
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- a handful of chopped cilantro
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, 1 teaspoon salt, a few shakes of white pepper
- oil for cooking
- sesame seeds
- chopped green onion
- To make the dough, mix flour & salt in a large bowl until well combined. Make a well in the middle & pour in hot water. Using a spatula, fold in all flour until a shaggy dough forms with no dry spots of flour in the bowl (if it does, add cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time). Transfer flour to a cleaned surface & knead until a smooth dough forms, about 10mins. Cover with a damp towel & rest for 30 mins.
- Meanwhile, place tofu in a cheesecloth bag & wring out all the liquid. Saute chopped green beans with 1 teaspoon oil in a pan for about 1-2 mins. Add green beans into a bowl along with tofu, carrot & seasoning ingredients. Mix well & divide the mixture into 10 portions & form it into a patty-like shape.
- When ready, dust flour on the surface, roll dough into a log & divide into 10 equal balls.
- To assemble, take one dough, flatten it with your palm & roll into a wrapper, about 4.5 inches diameter by keeping the middle part thicker Place one filling patty in the middle & pleat to seal. Dab the smooth side with water then gently press in some sesame seeds.
- To cook the buns, heat a non-stick pan (used 10″) with 3 tsp oil. Slightly flatten each bun with your palms & place them in the pan. Fit as many as you can in one layer. Cook until the bottom turns golden brown, flip & add 1 to 1.5 cups of hot water (be sure water covers > than ⅓ of the bun’s height). Cover with a lid, preferably glass & turn heat to low-med. Cook until all water has been absorbed, about 3-5mins. Alternatively, preheat oven to 375F (195°C) & brush a little oil on the side of the buns & bake for about 20-25 mins or until golden brown, flipping in between.
- Serve with chopped green onions & soy sauce.
Find more of WoonHeng’s recipes on @woon.heng.