- 1 pkg extra firm tofu, pressed, then cubed
- ¼ cup + 1 tsp corn starch
- 1 tsp + ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- ½ tsp ground dried ginger
- 1 cup orange juice (no sugar added)
- ¼ cup + 4 tbs water
- ½ cup vegan sugar
- 1 ½ tbs rice vinegar
- 3 tbs soy sauce
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼–1/2 tsp chili flakes (depends on how spicy you want it!)
- 1 tbs orange zest Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tbs)
- 3 tbs + 1 tsp canola or safflower oil
- Preheat your oven to 375F Heat a small saucepan over medium-heat, add tsp of oil, wait 30 seconds for it to heat up then and garlic and ginger.
- Sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Then add orange juice, ¼ cup water, sugar, rice vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, chili flakes, orange zest, lemon juice, and ½ tsp salt. Bring to a boil, then lower to a low boil. Let it reduce for 25-30 minutes. About 15 minutes before the sauce is done, start prepping the tofu.
- Mix together ¼ cup corn starch, 1 tsp salt, white pepper, and ground dried ginger on a large plate or bowl. Toss the tofu in it and set aside.
- Heat a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once the pan is nice and hot, add 3 tbs oil, or enough to cover the bottom of the pan. Once the oil is hot, add tofu and fry for 4-5 minutes on each side until they’re a nice crisp light brown color.
- After the sauce has been reducing for 25-30 minutes, mix together the 4 tbs water and 1 tsp corn starch in a small bowl or measuring cup, then add to the sauce, stirring to combine. Let it thicken for another 4-5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Once the tofu and sauce are done, pour the sauce over the tofu and place the pan in the oven. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the pan, flip every piece over and spoon some extra sauce on top, then place back in the oven and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice and your favorite veggie, there will be extra sauce at the bottom of the pan which is great for everything else on your plate!