Easy, flavorful, comforting – this crispy tofu stir-fry is a perfect quick lunch or dinner idea for fall.
- 1–14oz block extra-firm tofu
- some low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
Korean BBQ sauce
- ¾ cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce
- 3 tbsp maple syrup
- ¼ cup water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1–½ tbsp chili paste (or to taste)
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp finely minced ginger
- 5 finely minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 lb cremini mushrooms (thickly sliced)
- 1 lb cut French green beans
- Press and dry 1-14oz block extra-firm tofu with a heavy object and paper towels to remove excess liquid. Cut into bite-size cubes. Toss with some low-sodium tamari or soy sauce to lightly coat each cube.
- Place 3 tbsp corn starch into a freezer bag and add tofu cubes. Seal bag and shake until tofu pieces are coated with the corn starch.
- Make Korean BBQ sauce: in a medium bowl, mix ¾ cup low-sodium tamari or soy sauce, 3 tbsp maple syrup, ¼ cup water, 1 tbsp rice vinegar, 1-½ tbsp chili paste (or to taste), 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp finely minced ginger, 5 finely minced garlic cloves. In a small bowl, mix 1 tbsp cornstarch in 1 tbsp water until dissolved. Set bowls aside.
- Heat a little neutral oil in non-stick skillet. Add 1 lb cremini mushrooms (thickly sliced), flat side down, and let sit a few minutes before disturbing. Once bottom is dark golden-brown, sauté and cook until both sides are the same color. Add a splash of tamari or soy sauce and cook 30 seconds. Transfer to flat plate.
- Add 1 lb cut French green beans to skillet and sauté until dark golden-brown. Transfer to plate with mushrooms.
- Add more oil if needed and sauté coated tofu until all sides are golden. Transfer mushrooms and green beans back into skillet with tofu.
- Pour sauce into a small saucepan. Bring to a gentle boil while whisking. Add the dissolved cornstarch and keep whisking. Heat while whisking until starts to thicken.
- Spoon desired amount of sauce into skillet with tofu and veggies. Mix well to incorporate while gently heating.
- Refrigerate leftover sauce.
Find more of Nisha’s recipes on @cookingforpeanuts.