- 1/4 cup flax seeds (ground into a meal)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot/tapioca flour
- 1/4 cup besan (chickpea) flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1 scoop plant-based protein powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2/3 cup nut butter (I used an almond/peanut butter mix)
- 2/3 cup maple syrup (or rice malt syrup)
- 1/4 cup plant-based milk (I used almond)
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 160g dark chocolate
- Optional Extras – I totally recommend adding!
- 1/2 – 1 tbs white miso paste
- 1 tablespoon mesquite powder (optional)
- pinch sea salt flakes
- Preheat oven to 180oC (350oF).
- Combine flax seed meal and 125ml (1/2 cup) water in a large bowl and stand for a few minutes, or until water has been absorbed.
- Add the arrowroot flour, besan flour, cacao powder, protein powder, bicarb soda and baking powder and stir to combine well. Stir in the nut butter, maple syrup, milk and vinegar until well combined then add the chocolate.
- Line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper muffin cases, then divide the mixture evenly between them. Transfer to the oven and bake for 10-15 minutes or until the tops have cracked and the muffins are cooked through.
- Allow to cool in the tins before serving.
- Note: Due to the lack of refined sugars in here, these only last 3-4 days, in an air-tight container at room temperature. They will keep slightly longer in the fridge. If you refrigerate them, you may just want to warm them slightly before serving.