- 1 can cooked chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tbsp onion, diced
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo (more if desired)
- 2 tbsp bell pepper, diced
- 1 tsp yellow mustard
- ½ tsp salt (more to taste)
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- dash of black pepper
- 2 slices vegan bread (whichever you prefer)
- Rinse and drain the canned chickpeas. Try to shake off as much water as possible from the chickpeas (or you can pat slightly dry). This will ensure your chickpea tuna is not watery.
- Transfer half of the chickpeas to a flat surface (I like to use a big cutting board) and mash the chickpeas. Doesn’t need to be a paste, but should be relatively mashed.
- Transfer the mashed chickpeas to a bowl with the rest of the chickpeas. Set that aside
- Diced up your onion and your bell pepper, along with any other veggie/substitute you are adding.
- Add your diced vegetables to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Add in your remaining ingredients: mayo, mustard, and spices. Stir well to combine
- Feel free to mash this up a bit more if you want a smoother consistency.
- Salt and pepper to taste
Refrigerate the chickpea tuna salad right after making. It often tastes even better the next day as the flavors have had time to meld!
Recipe as posted on thecarbetarian.com, courtesy of @thecarbetarian.