There is no occasion that this easy vegan chocolate cake won’t be perfect for! This recipe is simple, can easily be customizable for different flavors (check out Katie’s blog post for ideas), and only requires basic ingredients.
- 2 cups spelt or white flour
- ¾ cup cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup mini vegan chocolate chips, optional
- 1 ½ cup sugar, or xylitol for sugar free
- ½ cup applesauce, banana, or plant-based yogurt of choice
- ½ cup oil, almond butter, or allergy-friendly sub
- 1 ½ tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup water
Vegan Chocolate Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- optional 2 oz melted vegan chocolate
- 8 oz vegan cream cheese
- ¼ cup vegan butter
- 1 ½ to 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 ½ tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 to 4 tbsp vegan milk of choice
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 180 C. Grease two 8-inch square or round pans. Set aside.
- Stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, optional chips, and sweetener in a bowl. (If your nut butter is not stir-able, gently heat until it softens.)
- In a new bowl, whisk the oil or nut butter, applesauce or vegan yogurt, water, and vanilla. Pour wet into dry and stir until just combined (don’t over-mix). Pour into the pans.
- Bake on the center rack for 25 minutes or until batter has risen and a toothpick inserted into the center of the cakes comes out mostly clean. (I like to take them out when still a little undercooked, let cool, then set in the fridge overnight. This prevents overcooking, and the cakes firm up nicely as they sit.) If you can wait, I highly recommend not tasting until the next day… this cake is so much richer and sweeter after sitting for a day!
- To make the frosting, let cream cheese and butter spread come to room temperature. Beat all ingredients with an electric mixer or stand mixer. If too thick, very slowly add more milk. If too thin, add additional powdered sugar.
- When ready to frost, go around the sides with a knife, then invert each cake onto a large plate. Frost separately, then place one cake on top of the other if a double-layer cake is desired. At this point you can also frost the sides if you wish.
Did you know that dozens of amazing vegan recipes featuring chocolate are just one click away from you?