- Recipe as posted on fullofplants.com:
- Yield: About 6 tacos
- 1 small sweet potato (about 2 cups diced)
- 1 15-ounce (425g) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tbsp (15ml) maple syrup
- 1 tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 1 tsp berbere spice blend (see notes)
- 1 tbsp (15ml) oil
- 1 leek, minced
- 1/2 cup fonio (or use quinoa)
- 2 cups (470ml) water
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 and 1/2 tsp berbere spice
- 6 taco shells (or small tortillas)
- MINT YOGURT SAUCE
- 1/3 cup (100g) non-dairy unsweetened yogurt
- 1 tbsp (15ml) lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3–4 fresh mint leaves, finely minced
- Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the chopped sweet potato and chickpeas with the maple syrup, olive oil, and berbere spice. Transfer to the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, heat a tablespoon of oil in a medium-size saucepan over medium heat. Once hot, add the minced leek and sautée for 3-5 min, or until softer.
- Add the fonio, water, tomato paste, and berbere spice. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat to low-medium and cook for 7-8 min. Remove from heat and let it sit 3-5 min, the fonio will absorb the remaining water.
- Warm the taco tortillas in a skillet. Fill each tortilla with about 1/3 cup of fonio and top with the sweet potato and chickpeas. Top with chopped red onions, a sprinkle of berbere spice, and drizzle with the mint yogurt sauce. Serve immediately, or place the tacos in a large baking dish and bake for 15 min in a 350°F preheated oven. If you bake the tacos, drizzle with the mint yogurt sauce just before serving.
- MINT YOGURT SAUCE
- Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings if needed.
- NOTES To make your own berbere spice blend, mix together: – 3 tbsp ground chili – 3 tbsp smoked paprika – 1 tsp garlic powder – 1/2 tsp ground ginger – 1/2 tsp ground cardamom – 1/2 tsp ground coriander – 1/2 tsp turmeric – 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek – 1/2 tsp dried basil – 1/4 tsp cinnamon – 1/4 tsp ground cumin