VEGAN HALLOUMI CHEESE
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight, then drained
- 1 cup cold water
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp agar agar
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ¼ cup neutral oil for frying
- 2 pumps non-stick oil spray (optional but recommended)
- Line a small sheet pan with parchment paper and spray with nonstick oil. Set aside.
- In a high-speed food processor, combine together all the ingredients aside from the oil for frying. Pulse until completely smooth.
- Transfer the cheese mixture to a sauce pan and heat on medium-low, whisking the whole time until mixture thickens, about 1-2 minutes.
- Once mixture begins to clump, continue whisking 1 more minute. Remove from heat and immediately transfer to your prepped sheet pan. Spread into a single even layer.
- Place cheese in your freezer and let set at least 30 minutes, or until ready to use.
- Once ready to cook the halloumi, heat up the neutral oil in a skillet (I used a textured grilling cast iron one).
- Take out the cheese and cut into whatever shape you desire. I used a round cookie cutter. Return any leftovers you’re not cooking right away to the freezer.
- Fry until golden on both sides, about 1 minute per side, and enjoy!
To make it a salad: Use a base of baby spinach and spring mix topped with ribboned cucumber, chopped red onion, crinkle-cut steamed beets, halved sweet mini bell peppers, halved black cherry tomatoes, sliced manzanilla olives, crispy black beans, and chickpeas seasoned with shawarma spice blend, hemp seeds, radish microgreens, and homemade vegan halloumi all drizzled with olive oil and lemon juice.
Find more of Naha’s recipes at @leeksnbeets.