Sometimes, simplicity works best – this grilled artichokes recipe is a perfect example of that. Basic seasonings complement the artichoke flavor really well, and with almost no effort you’ve got yourself a decadent side dish or appetizer!Print
- Coconut oil
- Lemon juice
- Cut artichokes in half and cut off a bit of the stalk, rubbing them with lemon right away because it oxidizes very quickly.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the choke (this is where watching a YouTube video might be helpful.)
- Then, use a small knife to strip out the tougher outside part of the stalk, again rubbing with lemon.
- Steam them for 15 minutes while preparing some oil and spices for extra flavor and to help them not to stick to the BBQ.
- Take two tablespoons of coconut oil, add a splash of hot water and a squeeze of lemon juice, crush in some garlic cloves, add some salt and pepper.
- Use some tongs to take out the steamed artichokes and use a spoon or brush to cover them in some of the oil concoction.
- Place them on the BBQ at medium heat for 3-5 mins, shutting the lid. When they are done pour on the rest of the oil, lemon, and garlic mix.
- You eat an artichoke by tearing off the leaves and scraping them along with your bottom teeth. You can also eat the stalk and heart.
Find more of Andrea’s recipes at @torontoveganmom.
For more vegan recipes using artichokes, click here.