- 200 ml vegan milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 75 g applesauce
- 75 g rapeseed oil or soft vegan butter
- 200 g flour
- 150 g vegan sugar
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 can full fat coconut milk or vegan whipped cream
- 180 g dark chocolate
- 30 g powdered sugar, optional
- Preheat oven to 180C/360F.
- Lightly grease a 20cm baking pan and cover the bottom with baking paper.
- Whisk vegan milk, oil and sugar in a bowl and add the apple cider vinegar, vanilla extract and applesauce, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, baking cocoa, baking powder and salt.
- Slowly stir in the liquid ingredients until a smooth dough is obtained.
- Put the dough in the baking form and bake in the oven for about 45-60 minutes*.
- Then remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- For the frosting, heat coconut milk and chocolate in a saucepan and stir. Optionally sweet with powdered sugar.
- Then allow to cool. Add toppings of your choice like berries and vegan sprinkles.
- Put the frosting into the mold on the cake and let it set in the fridge for about 2-3 hours.
- Then store the cake in the fridge so that the frosting does not soften.
You will need 1 heart shaped baking form (or a round 20cm form) to make this recipe.
To check if the cake is finished, it’s best to check it with the wooden stick test. For the wooden stick test, place the stick into the cake. When the cake is finished, the wooden stick should come out of the cake dry.
Find more of Anja’s recipes on @byanjushka.