- bread flour (300g)
- 2 tsp vegan butter
- 2 tsp dry yeast*
- kabocha purée (100g)
- maple syrup (10g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt
- 150–200mL water
Homemade Cream Cheese:
- 350g pkg firm tofu, drained
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1.5 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 c cashews, soaked (40-50g)
- 2 tsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sea salt
Maple Cinnamon Cream Cheese:
- 1/4 c cream cheese (see above)
- 1/2 tbsp maple maple syrup
- 1/4–1/2 tsp cinnamon
For the Bagels:
- Place all ingredients into a bread maker and let it knead for 15 minutes or until done and has risen (around 10 minutes of sitting time). Watch it knead for the first few minutes and add in a little bit of water as needed if it looks too dry. If making by hand, mix and knead the dough until all the ingredients are incorporated and form it into a large ball and let it sit covered until ball doubles in size.
- Flour the surface your working on and your hands. Punch the dough down and take it out onto your working surface. Knead with your hands a couple of times.
- Divide dough into 5 bagels and form them into balls. Let them sit for 10 minutes covered.
- Roll the dough out and form them into bagels. Cross the tips and fold under to attach the ends to keep their shape. Cover and let it sit for 20 minutes.
- In the meantime, heat up some water in a large pot or wok with 1 tbsp of water. Bring heat to a strong simmer. Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
- Boil the bagels on each side for 40 seconds each and transfer them onto a lined baking tray.
- Place them into the oven for 15 minutes rotating the tray half way. Let them cool on a cooling rack once they’re out of the oven.
For the Cream Cheese:
- Remove the firm tofu from the package and squeeze as much excess liquid as you can.
- Add in all the ingredients into a high speed blender and use a tamper/spatula to help the cream cheese get as smooth and creamy as possible.
- Transfer into an airtight container for storage. Use in cream cheese bagels, in dips and in other recipes that call for cream cheese!
- Mix every 1/4 c of cream cheese with 1/2 tbsp of maple syrup and 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of cinnamon until smooth.
- When serving, slice the bagels in half and spread cream cheese over. For storing, freeze bagels. Store cream cheese in airtight container for up to 1 week.