This kimchi stew with tofu is a perfectly comforting, flavorful, easy-to-make dish for any season. Make sure the kimchi you use is vegan – or make your own.
- 200 g vegan Kimchi, homemade or ready-made from a package, reserve a ½ cup of Kimchi juice
- ½ small onions, thinly sliced
- 2 spring onions, thinly sliced
- 1 or 2 tbsp Korean chili flakes, depending on your taste
- 2 tsp Korean chili paste
- 200 g silky tofu, cut into large cubes
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Salt, to taste
- Heat a pot in medium heat until hot, and then add the onions and kimchi. Sauté until the mixture is fragrant.
- Add Kimchi juice, chili flakes, chili paste into the pot. Then pour some cold water over to just cover the mixture. Gently stir to make sure the mixture is well combined.
- Cover the pot and turn up the heat. When the pot is boiling, turn down the heat to medium-low and let it simmer for further 10-15 mins.
- Add tofu cubes and cook for further 5 mins. In between, gently stir to make sure tofu is cooked in the mixture. Be careful not to break the tofu too much. Then switch off the heat and add sesame oil and salt to taste. Finally, add spring onions on the top and serve.
Find more of Madeline’s recipes on her blog.