- 3 cups walnuts
- 16 small dates
- ½ cup raw cacao powder
- ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- Pinch of salt
- 2 cups cherries, halved & pitted
- 2 tsp chia seeds
- 1 (492ml) can full fat coconut milk (refrigerated overnight)
- 8 squares dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- Several fresh cherries
- Line two 5-6″ round cake tins with baking parchment.
- Place all cake ingredients into a food processor and blend until a dough forms. (Alternatively, add the walnuts to a blender and blitz until they form a flour. Blend the dates the same way. Add the walnut flour, dates and all other cake ingredients to a large bowl and mix with your hands until a dough forms.)
- Divide the dough between two cake tins and press it down flat with your fingers. Put the cake tins in the freezer.
- Simmer the cherries in a pan for about 15 mins until they have partially broken down.
- Blitz in a blender for 10 secs until smooth. Pour into a bowl and add the chia seeds. Store the mixture in the fridge for one hour to firm up.
- Remove the can of coconut milk from the fridge and open. Scrape out the hardened coconut cream into a large bowl. (The leftover water isn’t needed.)
- Using an electric whisk, beat the cream for 3-5 minutes, until it’s lump-free and fluffy. Store in the fridge until needed.
- To assemble, remove the cakes from their tins. Add a layer of the cherry filling to one cake, followed by a layer of cream. Sandwich the other cake on top, and repeat the process. Decorate with cherry halves and dark chocolate.