Vegan Cheese Sauce:
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and chopped (I used Yukon gold)
- 2 cups carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 can (15.5 ounce) great northern beans (aka white beans) rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup unsweetened plain, unsweetened soy milk or water
- 5 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 pound dried pasta, I used shell pasta but feel free to use gluten-free. Reserve 1/2 cup hot pasta water.
- 2 Tbsp vegan butter, optional but I highly recommend (I use either Earth Balance or Miyoko’s)
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- Boil or steam the potatoes and carrots in a large pot for about 20 minutes or until soft.
- In the meantime, cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Once potatoes and carrots are done, place all the vegan cheese ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Taste the sauce and adjust ingredients as needed.
- Once the pasta is cooked, carefully spoon out about 1/2 cup of hot pasta water into a cup and set aside. Then drain the pasta and return to pot.
- Add the vegan cheese sauce to the cooked pasta noddles, mix to combine. If the sauce seems to thick, this is when you can add some of the hot pasta water to loosen up the sauce. (If you’re using gluten free noodles, skip the pasta water and instead use regular hot water.)
- Then add an additional 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, and 2 tbsp vegan butter (butter is optional.)
When reheating leftovers, add a little bit of plant based milk & or vegan butter if the sauce is too thick.
Find more of Alexa’s recipes on Fueled Naturally.