Spicy, smoky jackfruit filling in soft tortillas. An easy recipe that you’ll want to make again and again!
- 1 can of young jackfruit (rinsed and drained)
- 1 medium size yellow onion, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium-sized tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp ground cayenne or chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- Salt, to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- Corn tortillas
- Garnishes (optional):
- some fresh lime
- purple cabbage
- Break the chunks of jackfruit into shredded pieces and set aside.
- Heat a skillet and sauté the sliced onions and garlic with a tsp of water and some salt until the onions turn slightly brown, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and cook until the tomatoes turn soft, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add all the ground spices (smoked paprika, cayenne/chili, cumin, oregano) and about 1/4 cup water and cook on medium heat for about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded jackfruit, cover and continue cooking for about 7 minutes and until all the water is absorbed.
- Remove the lid, check for seasoning and adjust according to your taste.
- Turn off heat and add chopped cilantro.
- To serve, heat tortillas, spoon the spicy jackfruit filling on to the tortilla, top with fresh lime juice, avocado, and some cabbage, if you like. Serve hot.