- 2 cups cooked sushi rice
- 4 nori sheets, more if needed
- black and white sesame seeds, for garnish
- For the mushrooms:
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp mirin
- 1 1/2 tbsp tamari
- 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
- 200 gr oyster mushrooms, roughly chopped
- for the filling:
- 1 carrot, julienned
- 50 gr of purple cabbage, julienned
- 3–4 pieces of tenderstem broccolini (optional)
- 1 large avocado, thinly sliced
- For the mushrooms, combine the sesame oil, garlic, mirin, tamari and maple syrup in a bowl and add the chopped mushrooms. Let marinate for 5 minutes, then cook on a medium heat until soft and caramelised, 5-7 minutes. Leave aside.
- To make the rolls, place a nori sheet on a bamboo rolling mat, shiny side on top. Cover the nori with rice, using wet hands, leaving 2 cm empty on the top.
- Arrange the vegetables and mushrooms in a line near the bottom of the sheet and roll up tightly, wetting the empty nori at the top so that it sticks together. Repeat with rest of nori sheets and vegetables, then cut the rolls into pieces and sprinkle sesame seeds over. Serve with tamari for dipping.