Did you know that penne All’arrabbiata gets its name from sugo all’arrabbiata – the naturally vegan spicy Arrabbiata sauce that’s made from garlic, tomatoes, and dried red chili peppers cooked in olive oil. This recipe requires very few ingredients and yet it’s incredibly flavorful!
- 1 small onion
- 1 chili
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tbsp of tomato paste
- 800g of chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp of sugar
- some salt and pepper
- a bit more chili powder
- a sprinkle of oregano (or sub fresh parsley)
- 500g of pasta of choice
- For this quick Arrabbiata sauce, heat some olive oil in a pan over medium heat, add 1 small onion (finely cubed) and 1 chili (finely sliced).
- Let that cook for about 1 minute until the onion becomes translucent, add 3 cloves of garlic (minced) and cook that for half a minute while stirring constantly.
- Then, add 2 tbsp of tomato paste, 800g of chopped tomatoes (2 cans), 1 tsp of sugar, some salt and pepper and a bit more chili powder for extra heat.
- Then let that cook for about 10 minutes on low heat (cook 500g of pasta in the meantime) and then add the cooked pasta directly to the sauce with 1/2 cup of pasta water.
- Add some more salt and pepper to the sauce and serve it with dried chili flakes and just a sprinkle of oregano (but you could also use fresh parsley).
Find more of Jil’s recipes at Be ferox.