- Serves 4
- 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. gluten free penne pasta
- ¼ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 20 basil leaves, chopped
- ¼ cup vodka
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 32-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- ¼ cup cashews*
- ½ cup water*
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped basil leaves
- Soak cashews in overnight. You can also soak them in hot water for 15 minutes. Drain and blend with ½ cup water and set aside.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add oil, garlic and onions and sauté for about 3 minutes. Next, add tomatoes. Cook for about 10 minutes.
- While sauce simmers, cook pasta in salted boiling water until cooked al dente. #bestofvegan
- Next, add vodka to sauce and cook for another 10-15 minutes stirring occasional until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and stir in the cashew cream and basil leaves. Toss penne with vodka sauce and serve.