Turn your coffee table into a flowerbed with these pink vegan vanilla cupcakes! They are light and fluffy, topped with beetroot juice colored and vanilla flavored buttercream.
- 1 cup soy milk (other non-dairy milks should work)
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 ¼ cups white flour
- 2 tablespoons cornflour (also known as cornstarch)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup neutral flavoured oil
- ¾ cup sugar
- scant ½ teaspoon vanilla powder (if you don’t have vanilla powder just use a little extra vanilla extract)
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 110g vegan butter
- about 3 ½ cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- beetroot juice (either juice a beetroot or finely grate and squeeze out the juice)
- preheat oven to 180°C
- measure out the soy milk and mix in the apple cider vinegar, leave for a few minutes to curdle
- sift together the dry ingredients (flour, cornflour, baking powder, baking soda and salt) in a bowl large enough to mix all of the ingredients
- in a separate bowl beat together the milk + vinegar mixture, oil, sugar, vanilla extract and vanilla powder
- pour the wet mixture into the dry and gently mix together until smooth, making sure not to over mix
- line a muffin pan with cupcake cases and fill about ¾ of the way
- bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden and a toothpick comes out clean
- cool completely before icing ((recipe slightly adapted from theppk.com))
- using an electric beater or standing mixer beat the butter for a few minutes before beating in the icing sugar (add about ½ cup at a time to make it easier). continue beating until light and fluffy, if it’s too wet add in a little more icing sugar and if too dry a few spoonfuls of non-dairy milk.
- mix in the vanilla extract and beetroot juice, a little at a time until you get a colour you like
- pipe or spread onto cooled cupcakes.
Find more recipes on @mamtagovind.