Most of us are lucky to cook with pumpkin any time of year, but seasonal produce is always better. Now is the perfect time to make this easy vegan pumpkin soup and crispy croutons to top it!
- 1 small-medium size pumpkin (around 800g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- thumb size piece of ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (omit if you don’t like spice)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp cumin, ground
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 400ml vegetable stock
- 2 sourdough bread slices, chopped into 3cm cubes
- 1 tsp oregano, dried
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
- 3 tbsp coconut milk, full fat
- Preheat oven to 180C/360F. Place pumpkin on a baking tray, and bake in the oven for 30 mins, until a knife pierces through the skin. Remove and allow to cool for 10 mins.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat with the oil. Cook onion for 5 minutes, until soft. Add ginger and garlic and cook for another 2 mins.
- Scoop out the flesh from the pumpkin and add to pan. Add in chili powder, turmeric, cumin, salt and pepper and stir well.
- Pour in veg stock and put the lid on, reducing to a gentle simmer for 15 mins.
- Prepare croutons by adding olive oil to a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. Add in sourdough cubes and oregano and stir often, until golden and crispy. Blend soup using a stick blender or in a food processor until smooth. Serve with crispy croutons, toasted pumpkin seeds, and a drizzle of coconut milk.
Find more of Bo’s recipes on @bos.kitchen.