- 2 ½ cup warm soy or almond milk
- 3 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- ¾ cup xylitol OR raw sugar
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¾ cup natural-style roasted almond butter (192 g)
- 2 ½ cups light spelt OR cake flour
- 1 cup cocoa powder
- 2 ½ tsp. baking soda
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Stir the nondairy milk, vinegar, vanilla, sugar, and salt until the sugar and xylitol are dissolved. Stir the almond butter into the mixture until as smooth as possible. Set aside.
- Stir the flour, cocoa powder, and baking soda very well, then sift into a mixing bowl (DO NOT skip this step!). Whisk in the milk mixture and mix just until combined.
- Pour into a well-greased 9-inch round cake pan and bake for 60-70 minutes, until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Cool for ten minutes, invert onto a wire cooling rack (top facing down), and cool completely. Cut off the top (so it’s flat and smooth) and dust with powdered sugar or cornstarch, if desired. .
- Makes one 9-inch round cake (about 3 inches tall before cutting)