- 6 oz package fresh or frozen rice cakes, thawed and soaked in water
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1 Tbsp ginger, minced
- 3–4 fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced into 2-inch pieces
- 4 oz pressed tofu, cut into thin strips
- 2 cups bok choy or spinach, chopped
- 1 cup fresh snow peas, trimmed
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bean sprouts
- 1/2 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 Tbsp Shaoxing cooking wine
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp vegetarian oyster sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- Pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce (optional, for color)
- toasted sesame oil
- Soak the rice cakes in water, then drain.
- Whisk together the stir-fry sauce ingredients in a small bowl.
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil in a wok or non-stick pan over medium heat until shimmering.
- Add minced ginger, mushroom and scallions, and stir-fry until aromatic, about one minute.
- Add pressed tofu slices.
- Increase heat to high. Add vegetables: bok choy, snow peas, bean sprouts, and bell pepper, and cook until softened.
- Give the stir-fry sauce a whisk and add into the wok, then toss to combine.
- Add rice cakes. Cook until the rice cakes are tender but still chewy.
- Taste and add more salt, sugar, or soy sauce, if needed.
- Turn off heat and drizzle sesame oil and stir until incorporated. Serve hot.
Find more of Hannah’s recipes on HANNAH CHIA.