- (vegan, oil-free) makes 3-4 servings
- 8 oz (1.5–2 cups) butternut squash (measured after roasted— about 1/2 a medium-sized squash)
- 1/4 c nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp white or yellow miso paste
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/4 cup raw cashews, soaked for 4+ hours
- 1 cup liquid (water from cooking onions + almond milk)
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/8 tsp paprika
- 1/8 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 10 oz macaroni, cooked according to package instructions
- Peel and chop butternut squash into small pieces and roast on a baking sheet at 425 for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through and caramelized.
- in a small pan, saute onion in some water until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Reserve cooking liquid.
- In a high-speed blender or food processor combine butternut squash, nutritional yeast, miso paste, lemon juice, cashews, onions, spices, salt, and enough liquid to fill 1 cup (add cooking liquid + almond milk + more water if desired).
- Blend for a few minutes until creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasonings, adding more liquid if too thick, and blend again.
- Drain and rinse macaroni, and combine with sauce in a large bowl or pot.
- Serve immediately.