- 2 red bell peppers, cut in half top to bottom & de-ribbed
- 5 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 cup soaked cashews (soaked overnight or quick soak by low boiling for ~30 minutes)
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup lemon juice (~1–2 lemons)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 heaping tbsp harissa paste + more to taste
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp salt
- black pepper, to taste
- optional: crushed red pepper flakes & fresh cilantro to garnish
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and preheat your oven to 400F.
- Coat your bell peppers in olive oil on all sides and lay cut side up. Roast in the oven for ~25-30 minutes or until bottoms have started to blacken. (add your peeled garlic cloves for last 10 minutes of baking – make sure to also coat them in olive oil).
- Start on your sauce – blend remaining ingredients (cashews through salt) in a high speed blender for 3-5 minutes on medium until smooth and there are no visible cashew pieces.
- Once bell peppers + garlic cloves have finished roasting, add to the sauce and blend again for an additional 1-2 minutes until smooth & creamy.
- Add additional salt & pepper to taste, along with extra harissa paste if you want a little spicier.
- Serve with your favorite pasta or veggie noodle. Garnish with chopped fresh cilantro and crushed red pepper before serving.