- 12 oz of pasta of choice
- 2 large bell peppers, quartered lengthwise (stems taken off and seeds removed)
- 1/2 pint of grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cup packed basil leaves
- 1/4 cup pine nuts (can sub with sunflower seeds/walnuts)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- salt & pepper, to taste
- Cook pasta according to directions. Reserve 1/2 cup pasta water for later.
- Place peppers skin side down, along with tomatoes and mushrooms, on a large parchment lined baking sheet (you may need two baking sheets.) Spray with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast at 400 F for 30-40 min, flipping mushrooms and tomatoes half way through. Peppers are done roasting when skin is charred and collapsed.
- Meanwhile, toast pine nuts on the stovetop at medium until golden about 3 min. Set aside.
- After red peppers have been roasted, place in a covered container to steam. When cooled and easy to handle peel off the pepper skin.
- In food processor, combine red peppers, basil, pine nuts, garlic, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt & pepper to taste, then add olive oil slowly until all combined.
- Add pasta and pesto to sauté pan, heat at medium, and pour in the reserved pasta water and combine until heated through and pasta is well coated.
- Divide into pasta bowls, top with roasted mushrooms, tomatoes, & extra basil for garnish.