- 2 cans 20oz/567g young green jackfruit
- 1 cup vegan BBQ Sauce
- 1/2 cup veggie broth
- Fresh onion and garlic, chopped
- Open the cans of jackfruit and rinse off the brine or water. You’ll see the pieces are shaped in triangles. Take a small sharp knife and cut them in slices vertically. You should see the pieces appear to shred as you slice.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet and sauté until brown the chopped onion and garlic. Add in the jackfruit and broth, and sauté for about 8 minutes. You want the chopped jackfruit to soften so you can shred it further. I started using 2 forks to try to tear is apart into shreds in the sauté pan after about 5 minutes.
- Transfer the sautéed and shredded jackfruit into a bowl and pour on 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce. Toss it thoroughly and marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- After the hour, toss with the remaining half cup of barbecue sauce and spread on a parchment-lined cookie sheet. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees F/180C for about 10 minutes – you want the ends of the shredded pieces to dry and crisp up – this best emulates true pulled pork.
- Serve immediately on buns with greens and tomatoes and maybe more sauce. Enjoy!