This salad—a reader favorite on my blog—may use basic ingredients, but it packs a punch of flavor. It can be served either warm or chilled. The crushed tortilla chips add a nice crunch, but you can omit them if you want to keep this recipe gluten-free. This salad is also yummy as a filling for tacos.
- 2 cups (200g) diced red bell pepper
- 1 ¼ cups (168g) frozen sweet corn
- 2 (15-ounce) cans low-sodium black beans, drained and rinsed, or 3 cups cooked (510g)
- ¼ cup (60g) fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon (20g) pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon (2.5g) chili powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5g) ground cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon fine salt
- 1 medium avocado (150g), chopped
- Optional: crushed tortilla chips for serving
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C). Line a sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Place the chopped bell pepper on the prepared pan, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Roast at 400°F for 10 minutes.
- While the peppers are roasting, place the corn and beans in separate bowls, and warm up either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
- Combine the lime juice, syrup, chili powder, cumin, and salt in a small bowl, and whisk well. Add the lime mixture to a small pan over medium-low heat. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes to heat through.
- Add the roasted bell pepper to a large serving bowl. Add the corn, beans, and lime mixture, and toss to coat everything evenly. Taste and add more salt and seasonings, if desired. Add the avocado right before serving, and top with crushed tortilla chips, if desired.
- Calories: 345
- Sugar: 7.2g
- Sodium: 374mg
- Fat: 8.5g
- Carbohydrates: 56g
- Fiber: 20.1g
- Protein: 15.7g