- 6 medium-sized tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups tomato pulp (from tomatoes)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1.5– 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup rice (short-grain or arborio)
- 1/4 green bell pepper + 1/4 red bell pepper, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- (4 oz) can green chilies
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or parsley
- vegan parmesan
- pulse 1/3 cup raw cashews, 2 tbsp nutritional yeast, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, and 1/4 tsp salt in a food processor until it becomes a fine meal
- 3/4 cup bread crumbs (use gluten free if necessary, or omit)
- Cut a thin slice off the top of each tomato and scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/2 inch thin shells. Remove seeds and drain liquid, setting the remaining pulp aside (it should be around 1.5 cup, depending on the size of your tomatoes).
- Sprinkle the insides of tomatoes with salt and place inverted onto paper towels to drain.
- In a food processor or blender, blend tomato pulp, 2 cloves garlic, 1 small onion, and 1/3 cup vegetable broth until smooth.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan, and add rice, stirring for a minute.
- Stir tomato mixture into rice and add 1.5 c vegetable broth, cooking on low heat until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender, about 25 minutes.
- You may need to add more broth along the way.
- Stir in chopped bell pepper, the can of green chillies, and the chopped herbs, and remove from heat. Preheat oven to 375 F (190C).
- Spoon the rice mixture in the tomatoes until they are 3/4 full, then top with dry bread crumbs and cashew parmesan until mounded slightly.
- Place the reserved tomato slices on the tomatoes, if desired. Bake for about 20-25 minutes, until tomatoes are slightly blistered and rice is baked through.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.