Gluten Free and Vegan.
Streusel apple pie:
- 1 cup tapioca flour
- 1 cup gluten free oats
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 3 tbsp aquafaba (the liquid from a can of chickpeas)
- 5 tbsp vegan butter
- 850g apples, peeled and cored
- 3 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp all spice
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1.5 cups plant milk
- 1/3 tsp turmeric, ground
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp cornflour mixed with 3 tbsp cold water
- Preheat oven to 180C/360F and grease an 8 inch tart tin. Using a food processor, blend together tapioca flour, oats, almond flour, sugar and salt. Add in aquafaba and butter and pulse until it forms a dough. Remove from the blender and set aside in the fridge to chill for 30 mins.
- Prepare apples and chop into small pieces. Add to a bowl and coat with cinnamon, all spice, lemon juice and coconut sugar.
- Remove pastry from the fridge and save 1/3 of the pastry for the topping. Roll out the rest and line tart tin.
- Add in apples and break up remaining pastry with your fingers to form the crumbly streusel.
- Bake for 45 mins, until golden.
- Make custard by adding plant milk, turmeric, vanilla and sugar to a small pan. Heat gently until simmering. Add in cornflour paste, stirring constantly until thick and creamy.