- 1/2 lb long beans (about 24 stalks)
- 16 oz firm tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped King oyster mushrooms, sauteed & seasoned with salt
- a handful of chopped cilantro
- 1/2 tsp salt, a few shakes of white pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 Thai chilis, chopped
- oil for cooking
- toasted sesame oil
- toasted sesame seeds
- 2.5 Tbsp soy sauce,
- 1 Tbsp hoisin sauce,
- 2 tsp hot bean paste in 1 cup water until well combined
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add a pinch of salt, then blanch green beans in hot water for 2 mins. Remove & soak green beans in an ice water bath.
- To make the stuffing, place pressed tofu in a food processor/blender, pulse a few times until it turns pasty. Transfer tofu into a bowl & add in chopped carrots, mushrooms, cilantro, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, a few shakes of white pepper, 1 teaspoon cornstarch & a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. Mix all ingredients until well combined.
- Knot the beans. *See the video below.
- Place knotted long beans on a cleaned surface & generously dust both sides with cornstarch. Stuff long beans knot with tofu mixture.
- In a heated non-stick pan with 1 tablespoon oil, pan fry long beans until golden brown on both sides. Push them aside & sauté garlic until fragrant. Add in sauce, chili & lightly coat long beans with sauce. Place a lid over & let simmer for 2-3 mins or until the stuffing is fully cooked. (Leftover filling can be turned into tofu cakes!)
- Season accordingly, add cornstarch slurry for a thicker sauce & garnish with sesame seeds.