- 1 block (454g) of extra-firm tofu; diced
- 3 TBSP hoisin
- 2 TBSP light soy sauce
- 3 TBSP mirin
- 2 TBSP warm water
- 1 TBSP maple syrup
- chili/hot sauce (to taste)
- pinch of salt
- 1 pack (227g) mushrooms; sliced
- 1 onion; diced
- 3 garlic cloves; minced
- 2 handfuls green string beans; cleaned and cut into 2 or 3
- 2 bell peppers; diced
- sesame seeds
- oil for frying
- green onion for garnish
- salt and pepper if needed
- In a bowl, whisk together the hoisin, soy sauce, mirin, water, hot sauce and maple syrup. Add the tofu and stir well. Set aside for about 20 minutes; stir once in a while to ensure that the tofu is well-marinated.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium-high heat. Scoop out the tofu (leave the left over sauce in the bowl for later) and fry it on the pan for about 5 minutes on each side, until a light brown/golden colour is reached and the tofu is crispy on the outside. Take out and place in a bowl. Set aside.
- In the same pan,add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent. Stir in the bell peppers and green string beans. Cook for another five minutes and then add the mushrooms, sesame seeds and the remainder of the sauce that was left from the tofu.
- Transfer the tofu to the pan and cover. Cook on low for about 5 or 10 minutes. Add extra water and soy sauce if needed. Remove from heat, and serve with your choice of noodles or rice, green spring onion and extra soy sauce (optional). Enjoy!