- For the Sweet Potato and Turmeric Falafels:
- 1 sweet potato (baked or steamed)
- 14oz can of chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro or parsley (I used cilantro)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- juice of half a lemon + zest of that half
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat your oven to 375F.
- Then simply place the steamed or baked sweet potato into the food processor and pulse for about 10 seconds, breaking down the sweet potato.
- Then add in the remaining ingredients into the food processor.
- Pulse for another 15-20 seconds until the chickpeas have been broken down but are not totally blended – we do not want to turn the mixture into humus – we want there to be small chunks of chickpeas throughout.
- Then on a parchment paper lined baking sheet, scoop out the falafel mixture with an ice cream scooper and place on the sheet.
- Just make sure the falafels are no bigger than an inch thick.
- They should be pretty small. Bake for 15-20 minutes until the top is slightly golden brown and crispy.
- Toppings: – I like to add 4-5 falafels on top of a simple salad – arugula, celery, olives, cucumber, hemp seeds and tomatoes salad with a lemon and olive oil dressing (as seen above).
- Or add the falafel into a collard green or pita wrap.