- 8–10 tomatoes (of all varieties—chopped)
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots (small dice)
- 6–8 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 carrots (diced)
- 1 tbsp dried Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbsp gochujang sauce
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup red or white wine
- 4 bay leaves
- In a large stock pot or Dutch oven, add olive oil over medium high heat. Add shallots and garlic and cook until translucent. Add carrots, paprika, and Italian seasoning.
- Next add gochujang sauce and stir until all veggies are evenly coated.
- When bottom of pot begins to turn brown, deglaze with balsamic vinegar and wine, scraping up the brown bits. Let the wine cook down into a thick consistency before adding chopped tomatoes (I keep the skin and seeds).
- Stir until tomatoes are coated and add bay leaves. Bring to boil and then lower heat to medium-low. Cook until sauce is thick and hearty. Remove bay leaves. Serve as is or use immersion blender to smoothen the sauce before serving.