This vegan black & white cake is a plant-based twist on a very traditional German dessert called “Donauwelle”.
- 370g spelt flour
- 150g vegan sugar (not all sugar is vegan)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 500mL plant-based milk
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 160g coconut oil, liquid
- 1 tsp vanilla paste
- 25g cacao powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 jar of cherries
FOR THE CREAM
- 500 ml (16fl.oz) plant-based milk
- 82 g vegan vanilla pudding powder
- 100g Vegan butter
- 200g vegan chocolate
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine 400mL of the milk with the vinegar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, combine the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the milk-vinegar mixture, coconut oil and vanilla paste and combine until smooth. Pour ⅔ of the mixture in a greased baking tin. Add cacao powder and the rest of the milk to the remaining batter. With a spoon add the chocolate batter over the vanilla batter. Slightly press the cherries into the dough. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Warm up the milk over medium heat. Add the vanilla pudding powder. Turn to low heat and cook for 1-2 minutes while constantly whisking. Let pudding cool down and meanwhile whisk the vegan butter. Add the pudding to the vegan butter (attention: both should be about the same temperature)
- Spread the cream over the cake and let cool in the fridge for at least 2 hours.
- Melt the chocolate with the oil and spread over cake.
Find more of Lara’s recipes on @vanillacrunnch.
If you loved this vegan black & white cake:
Check out the recipe for another cherry-flavored treat that was inspired by a German dessert: Creamy Black Forest Parfaits.