A healthy meal-prep friendly lunch option, this vegan BLAT sandwich topped with carrot “bacon” is flavorful, yet easy to make!
For the carrot “bacon”:
- 3 large carrots
- 2 tablespoons neutral-tasting oil (safflower)
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ½ teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ teaspoon smoked sea salt plus ¼ teaspoon
- ¼ teaspoon finely ground black pepper
For the sandwich:
- 8 slices whole-grain bread
- ¼ cup vegan mayo, for bread
- ¼ head iceberg lettuce, leaves peeled
- 2 tomatoes, cut into thin rounds
- 1 avocado, quartered and sliced
- Pre-heat oven to 200°C / 400°F.
- For carrot “bacon”, using a vegetable peeler, peel carrots into thin strips and place in a big bowl. Add oil, maple, sherry vinegar, liquid smoke, Worcestershire, ¼ teaspoon smoked sea salt, pepper, and toss to coat. Spread out carrots and marinating liquid on parchment-lined walled baking sheet.
- Bake for about 18 to 21 minutes, flipping occasionally. Once out of the oven, toss with additional ¼ teaspoon smoked salt.
- Toast bread in toaster oven until golden.
- Spread 4 slices bread with mayonnaise. Top 4 slices with lettuce, tomato, avocado, and a few pieces of carrot bacon. Enclose with remaining bread and serve.