- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp finely minced fresh rosemary
- 3/4 cup organic granulated sugar
- 3 tbsp blood orange zest (roughly 3–4 blood oranges)
- 2 tbsp blood orange juice
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 flax eggs (for 1 flax egg, mix together 1 tbsp flaxseed meal with 2 1/2 tbsp water, stir and let sit for 10-15min to thicken)
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Blood Orange Icing (see below)
- Prepare the flax eggs. Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and lightly flour a 9” cake pan, or line it with parchment paper for easy removal.
- In a large bowl, grate the zest from blood oranges until you have 3 tbsp. Add the sugar and mix together using a fork or your fingers until the zest is evenly mixed into the sugar.
- Juice one of the zested oranges until you have 2 tbsp and pour into a small bowl. Add the coconut yogurt and whisk to combine. Pour into the sugar mixture and whisk well to thoroughly combine.
- Then gently whisk in the vanilla extract and the flax eggs.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and rosemary.
- Gently whisk the flour mixture into the sugar mixture until no large clumps remain.
- Switch to a rubber spatula and fold in the olive oil a little at a time. Scrape the batter into pan and smooth out the surface.
- Bake for 45-50min, or until a knife inserted into center comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 15min, then unmold and cool to room temperature. Once cooled, top with Blood Orange Icing.
- Blood Orange Icing
- /2 cups organic powdered sugar 4-6 tbsp blood orange juice 2-3 tbsp plant-based milk
- Start with 4 tbsp of blood orange juice and whisk with the powdered sugar until thick and smooth. If If you want the icing to be darker in color, add more blood orange juice.
- Whisk in plant-based milk, one tbsp at a time until you have a thick yet pourable consistency.